Jordan S. Powell is the founder of Powell Law Offices. Jordan has devoted his entire legal career to the representation of victims of negligence, including automobile accidents, medical malpractice, nursing home negligence, assisted living negligence, construction accidents, premises liability and pool drownings.
Jordan began his career at the prestigious Chicago personal injury firm of Levin & Perconti. There his drive, diligence and dedication led to notable results on behalf of his clients that suffered from tragic and catastrophic injuries. In 2017, after 10 years at Levin & Perconti, Jordan left his position as Partner and opened Powell Law Offices.
In 2012, Jordan’s work was recognized by his peers and he was named to the Law Bulletin Publishing Company’s list of the 40 Attorneys Under Forty to Watch in Illinois for 2012.
Jordan earned his J.D. from Chicago-Kent College of Law where he focused his studies on developing a well-rounded litigation background, earning high honors in both trial advocacy and litigation technology courses. Prior to law school, Jordan attended the University of Michigan where he was on the dean’s list and graduated with academic distinction. While there, he earned two degrees: a B.A. in Political Science and a B.A. in Organizational Studies.
Outside of work, Jordan makes a conscious effort to help the underprivileged through his volunteer work. In 2007, he spent a week in the Gulf Coast offering legal advice to victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and helping with the demolition of destroyed homes.
Additionally, Jordan is an active member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association of Justice’s Nursing Home Litigation Group. He has been asked to speak to a number of groups including fellow lawyers, senior advocates and long-term care ombudsmen.
Jordan volunteers at both Chicago-Kent College of Law and John Marshall Law School judging trial advocacy and moot court competitions.
Jordan was raised in West Bloomfield, MI, and attended Bloomfield Hills Andover High School, where his ambition, competitiveness and scholastic achievement were evident. He was a three-letter athlete and earned numerous scholar-athlete honors.
Jordan lives with his wife, Greta Powell, also an attorney, and their daughter, in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago.
Presentations and Publications
- “Deposition Strategies in Nursing Home Cases,” Lawline, April, 2018, New York, NY.
- “Key Evidence in Illinois Nursing Home Cases,” Lawline, April, 2018, New York, NY.
- Speaker and Moderator, “Technology in the Courtroom: Advice from the Bar and Bench,” Chicago Bar Association: Trial Practice Committee, January 4, 2018, Chicago, IL.
- Guest on “Aging Well in Chicago”, WNDZ 750, hosted by Jeff Bechar, “Spotting signs of Nursing Home Neglect,” November 18, 2017, Chicago, IL.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, “Trial – Tips from Experienced Litigators and New Illinois Pattern Jury Instructions,” Nursing Home & Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar, February 6, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- “Getting the Judge to Admit Key Evidence, “AAJ Education’s Litigating Nursing Home Cases Seminar, November 2013, Las Vegas, NV.
- “Ethical Considerations in Nursing Home Cases,” ITLA Trial Journal, Summer 2013.
- “Private Causes of Action Against Nursing Homes: Hot Topics.” Annual Governor’s Conference on Aging, Chicago, December 13, 2012.
- “Weaving a Nursing Home Deposition Strategy,” Trial Magazine, December 2012.
- “Nursing Home Litigation,” National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys – Illinois Chapter, September 14, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- “Prosecuting Nursing Home Cases,” Chicago Bar Association Probate Practice Committee Meeting, July 19, 2012, Chicago, IL.
- “Developments in Nursing Home Cases,” Chicago Bar Association Tort Litigation Committee, “Tort Law: The New Legal World We Live In” March 3, 2011, Chicago, IL.
Awards & Honors
- Illinois Super Lawyers: Rising Stars 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Emerging Lawyers by Leading Lawyers 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40 2016, 2017, 2018
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin: 40 Under 40 2012
J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2007
B.A., University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 2004
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2007
Illinois State Bar Association
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
Chicago Bar Association, Co-Chair of the Trial Practice Committee
American Association for Justice, Nursing Home Litigation Group